Haley declines to say slavery was cause of Civil War
Billy Canoza
2023-12-28 13:29:21 UTC
She's correct of course.

The Civil War was about money and politics mostly.

The South was doing well and the revenue streams had changed from
Northern banks to more convenient regional Southern banks.

Northerners didn't like that and they were horrified to discover
Southern ex-slaves owning slaves and making lots of money.
Scout
2023-12-28 16:48:01 UTC
Post by Billy Canoza
She's correct of course.
She's wrong, of course. Most of the traitor states said expressly in their
declarations of secession that it was because of slavery.
Klaus Schadenfreude
2023-12-28 20:45:16 UTC
Post by Billy Canoza
She's correct of course.
The Civil War was about money and politics mostly.
You are, of course, a moron.

Georgia

The people of Georgia having dissolved their political connection with
the Government of the United States of America, present to their
confederates and the world the causes which have led to the
separation. For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious
causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States
with reference to the subject of African slavery.

Mississippi

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of
slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor
supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most
important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are
peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an
imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to
the tropical sun.

South Carolina

We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted
have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made
destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States.
Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of
our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property
established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the
Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of
slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of
societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign
the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and
assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who
remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile
insurrection.

Texas

Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to
become one of the Confederated Union to promote her welfare, insure
domestic tranquility and secure more substantially the blessings of
peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy
with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal
constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy
these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding,
maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--
the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits-- a
relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness
by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all
future time. Her institutions and geographical position established
the strongest ties between her and other slave-holding States of the
confederacy.

Virginia

The people of Virginia, in their ratification of the Constitution of
the United States of America, adopted by them in Convention on the
twenty-fifth day of June, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven
hundred and eighty-eight, having declared that the powers granted
under the said Constitution were derived from the people of the United
States, and might be resumed whensoever the same should be perverted
to their injury and oppression; and the Federal Government, having
perverted said powers, not only to the injury of the people of
Virginia, but to the oppression of the Southern Slaveholding States.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/primary-sources/declaration-causes-seceding-states

Yes, Democrats were so angry at the North's attempts to end slavery
that they seceded from the Union. But we took their slaves away from
them, and they're STILL pissed about it.