America lost the war on COVID because of Nancy Pelosi.
Daniel Heaton
2022-06-16 09:57:57 UTC
In article <t1v29n$39ia3$***@news.freedyn.de>
lefty asswipes <lefty-***@disney.com> wrote:

> ...I spent all night taking it up the ass.

White House adviser Cedric Richmond confirmed Tuesday that he
will depart President Biden’s staff for a position at the
Democratic National Committee — shortly after reporting that he
called left-wing Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Rashida
Tlaib “f—ing idiots.”

Richmond, 48, will serve in a vague DNC role boosting the
party’s efforts to avoid a wipeout in the midterm elections in
November. He and the White House described the transition as a
promotion.

Richmond, director of the White House Office of Public Liaison,
was one of the few relatively fresh faces among Biden’s senior
West Wing staff, which is dominated by longtime associates of
the 79-year-old president. He reportedly struggled to be
included.

It’s unclear if Richmond’s criticism of Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and
Tlaib (D-Mich.) had anything to do with the timing of his exit.

The former Louisiana congressman tore into the left-wing “Squad”
members after progressive activists slammed Biden for hiring him
despite his history of accepting campaign donations from fossil
fuel executives, according to excerpts from the book “This Will
Not Pass: Trump, Biden and the Battle for America’s Future” by
New York Times reporters Jonathan Martin and Alex Burns.

“I am thrilled that the president has entrusted me with helping
boost the robust work already being done at the DNC to make sure
that Democrats grow their majorities in the House and Senate,
and increase the number of Democratic governors in state
capitals around the country,” Richmond said.

DNC Chairman Jamie Harrison said “there are few people more
capable of helping us continue to build on our successes and
deliver our message as we head into the midterm elections” and
that Richmond’s transfer shows “the Democratic Party is all-in
and leaving nothing to chance.”

House Majority Whip James Clyburn (R-SC), an important Richmond
ally, said, “This is an exciting and important move – as we head
toward the midterms Cedric Richmond will make an already strong
team at the DNC, led by Jaime Harrison, even stronger.”

White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Monday sought to head
off the perception that Richmond was being cast aside when a
reporter pressed her on Richmond’s recent remarks that he
planned to remain at the White House.

“The New York Times is reporting that Cedric Richmond is
leaving. Is he? And just last week, he said publicly that he
wouldn’t leave unless the president asked him to. So, has
something changed there?” the reporter asked.

“Cedric Richmond has been, continues to be a vital, essential
adviser to the president — was on the campaign, continues to be
in the White House. I have been in many meetings with Cedric
Richmond, where the president goes to him and looks to him for
his political sense, his assessment of Congress. He trusts him
implicitly,” Psaki replied.

“I have nothing to announce at this point, but I can assure you
when we have something to announce, it will involve a new
important role too — for Cedric Richmond and something the
president is excited about and has asked him to do.”

https://nypost.com/2022/04/26/biden-adviser-cedric-richmond-to-
leave-white-house-for-dnc/
Daniel Heaton
2022-06-16 10:18:11 UTC

String her wrinkled old ass up.
Daniel Heaton
2022-06-16 12:09:49 UTC
In article <t1v2a1$39ia6$***@news.freedyn.de>

Nobody in their right mind would be fucking that whore.
Daniel Heaton
2022-06-16 15:20:24 UTC
In article <t1v29t$39ia6$***@news.freedyn.de>
fudgepacking queer <***@monkeypox.com> wrote:

> ...I spent all night sucking cocks.

WASHINGTON – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will no longer be able
to receive communion in her hometown of San Francisco after the
local archdiocese said her vow to make abortion legal crossed a
line the Catholic church could not ignore.

In an announcement that he also tweeted out, Archbishop
Salvatore J. Cordileone notified Pelosi that her staunch support
of abortion and her refusal to personally explain her position
to him forced his hand.

"After numerous attempts to speak with Speaker Pelosi to help
her understand the grave evil she is perpetrating, the scandal
she is causing, and the danger to her own soul she is risking, I
have determined that she is not to be admitted to Holy
Communion," he said.

More:Explosive leaked draft in abortion case reveals Supreme
Court on verge of overturning Roe

Pelosi has been a vocal advocate of abortion rights for decades.
But her decision in September to bring to the floor a bill
making Roe v. Wade the law of the land following passage of a
Texas law that effectively bans terminating pregnancies beyond
six weeks proved a bridge too far for her local archdiocese.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2022/05/20/nancy-
pelosi-catholic-communion/9861315002/
Daniel Heaton
2022-07-09 10:45:54 UTC
In article <3be8a06a-38f4-494d-b01b-
***@googlegroups.com>

Daniel Heaton
2022-07-09 12:13:47 UTC
In article <***@95.216.243.224>

Daniel Heaton
2022-07-15 11:08:23 UTC
In article <t1nknd$35f94$***@news.freedyn.de>

leave-white-house-for-dnc/
BeamMeUpScotty
2022-07-15 17:39:07 UTC
On 7/15/22 7:08 AM, Daniel Heaton wrote:
> [...]
> planned to remain at the White House.
>
> “The New York Times is reporting that Cedric Richmond is
> leaving. Is he? And just last week, he said publicly that he
> wouldn’t leave unless the president asked him to. So, has
> something changed there?” the reporter asked.
>
> “Cedric Richmond has been, continues to be a vital, essential
> adviser to the president — was on the campaign, continues to be
> in the White House. I have been in many meetings with Cedric
> Richmond, where the president goes to him and looks to him for
> his political sense, his assessment of Congress. He trusts him
> implicitly,” Psaki replied.
>
> “I have nothing to announce at this point, but I can assure you
> when we have something to announce, it will involve a new
> important role too — for Cedric Richmond and something the
> president is excited about and has asked him to do.”

When Democrats are in power... telling the truth is an act of
insurrection.

--
-That's karma-

Democrats will take your cars and guns and food and they will begin
their occupation as they control energy that allows them total control
of you, under the guise of saving you from yourself. That's the GLOBAL
WARMING CULT.
Sign Up
2022-07-30 06:39:56 UTC
In article <t26r5k$3dsnm$***@news.freedyn.de>
fudgepacking queer <***@monkeypox.com> wrote:

> ...I spent all night sucking cocks.

President Joe Biden will host former President Barack Obama and
former first lady Michelle Obama at the White House to unveil
their official White House portraits.

"On September 7, the President and Dr. Biden will host President
and Mrs. Obama for the unveiling ceremony for their official
White House portraits, and that will be very exciting," White
House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre announced Thursday. The
artists who made the paintings will also be revealed during the
ceremony. The unveiling typically occurs in the East Room of the
White House.

Traditionally, the current president has always invited their
predecessor to the White House to unveil their official
portraits. The September ceremony will also be the first time
Michelle Obama has entered the White House since leaving with
her husband in 2017.

The 44th president has been hosted at the White House on one
other occasion since Biden entered office, and that was in April
2022 for the 12th anniversary of his health care law. Obama's
portrait will be hung on the main floor of the White House with
his other predecessors.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-invites-barack-michelle-
obama-white-house-portrait-unveiling
Ramon F. Herrera
2023-02-28 08:23:42 UTC
In article <ssprvf$ls9s$***@news.freedyn.de>
***@gmail.com wrote:

> ...I get to hunt negroes and Democrats in Maryland.

While research shows that possessing a gun raises the risk of
violent death, some Black women are desperate for a way to feel
safer

WELCOME, Md. — A 16th week had passed with no arrest in the
murder of Patrice Parker’s son, another week in which she had
struggled through grief for him and fear for herself and her
surviving daughters.

It wasn’t just that the person who had turned a gun on 24-year-
old Markelle Morrow was still at large, but that so many other
armed criminals were as well.

Shootings were ravaging the nation’s capital, on track for its
highest number of homicides in two decades. In Prince George’s
County, where Parker lives, carjackings had more than quadrupled
since 2019.

But there was a place where she felt safe, and that was here, at
a remote property amid thick woods an hour’s drive south of her
home in District Heights, Md. And there was no time the 52-year-
old felt safer than when holding a weapon like the one her
friend Mark “Choppa” Manley now handed her: a 9mm pistol similar
to those that regularly ring out in neighborhoods experiencing
the worst of the region’s bloody summer.

“I’ve got some ammo for you,” Manley said, “when you’re ready.”

There was a time when Parker never would have been ready. During
a long career as a nursing aide she had cared for countless
shooting victims. Like many Black women in Southeast Washington
or just across the D.C. border in Prince George’s County, she’d
viewed guns for most of her life as the root of the violence
that had wrecked countless lives in her community.

That changed, paradoxically, after her son was shot to death in
a parking lot not far from her home. Exasperated with the police
response and in despair over the sheer number of weapons on the
streets, Parker decided there was only one way to protect what
remained of her family. And that was to pick up a gun herself.

“I always felt like you needed to take the guns off the street.
But the way things are now ...” Parker’s voice trailed off.

“I don’t feel safe anymore,” she said. “You can’t trust nobody.”

Across America, Black women are taking up arms in unprecedented
numbers. Research shows that first-time gun buyers since 2019
have been more likely to be Black and more likely to be female
than gun purchasers in previous years, a finding that aligns
with surveys of gun sellers.

Gun sales spiked across all demographic groups during the
coronavirus pandemic, and remained high through the protests
that followed the police murder of George Floyd, the attack on
the U.S. Capitol and other events that many saw as signs of a
nation in chaos. The National Rifle Association and other gun-
industry lobbyists have long exploited such fears to boost sales
of firearms and weaken the laws that restrict their use.

But Parker and others like her are part of a new chapter in the
long-running story of America’s relationship with firearms.
Scarred — sometimes literally — by the firsthand consequences of
gun violence and disenchanted with decades of urban gun-control
policies that they regard as largely ineffective, some Black
women in D.C. and other cities are embracing a view long
espoused by Second Amendment activists: that only guns will make
them safer.

It is a development that could upend America’s gun-rights
debate, traditionally seen as pitting largely White rural and
suburban firearms owners against city residents, many of them
Black, whose elected leaders have pursued some of the nation’s
strictest gun-control policies.

Nearly 3 in 4 U.S. gun owners are still White, according to a
study published by Harvard University researchers earlier this
year. And while gun ownership has long been common in rural
Black households, the surge of interest in firearms among urban
Black women profoundly alarms experts on gun violence, who point
to a large body of research demonstrating that gun possession is
correlated with a greater — not lesser — risk of violent death.
Rates of suicide, the cause of most gun deaths every year, go up
when a weapon is in the house, as does the likelihood of
accidental death and murder by another household member.

“There is no category of violence where we have evidence to show
more firearms increase safety,” said Shani A.L. Buggs, an
assistant professor with the Violence Prevention Research
Program at the University of California at Davis.

Yet Buggs, a Black woman who previously worked on community
violence interventions in Baltimore, acknowledged that a stack
of academic papers might not be convincing for a woman who
regularly hears gunfire on her street and lives in terror for
herself or her children. That is especially the case, she noted,
in places like Southeast D.C. or District Heights, where trust
in police is often as low as violent crime is high.

“This phenomenon flies in the face of the scientific evidence
that we have,” Buggs said. “But it all sadly, tragically, is a
predictable outcome of all of these different factors that have
been converging.”

Those factors had converged for Parker as she stepped to the
firing line on a Sunday in July at the Choppa Community, a
Southern Maryland gun range and gathering place for Black
firearms enthusiasts. She held a Ruger PC Charger pistol with an
extended magazine. She wore a sleeveless black blouse, and a
button with the face of her murdered son.

Parker took aim and fired about two dozen rounds at a set of
steel targets.

When she laid the gun down, she was smiling.

“I feel a little bit better already,” she said.

‘I wasn’t into guns’

For most of America’s history, the Second Amendment was one of
many constitutional rights withheld from those who weren’t
White. After the Civil War and emancipation, champions of racial
equality encouraged gun ownership among Black citizens to
protect themselves from violence perpetrated by Whites.

Those calls were reprised during the civil rights movement of
the 1960s, most famously by the militant leaders of the Black
Panther Party. In the 1980s, a seminal early victory for the NRA
— the spread of state laws that eased restrictions on concealed-
carry permits — was also a boon for Black gun enthusiasts, who
had frequently had their permit applications denied by White
officials.

Yet that trend coincided with another development that dampened
enthusiasm for guns in many Black communities: skyrocketing
levels of violent crime in cities entering the throes of the
crack cocaine epidemic.

As a child growing up in Southeast Washington during that era,
Keeon Johnson learned to fear the weapons that routinely ended
the lives of her neighbors.

“I wasn’t into guns at all,” Johnson said, “because we were told
that guns were bad.”

Decades later, serving as the Democratic chairwoman of an
Advisory Neighborhood Commission in Ward 8, Johnson began to
wonder whether her faith in her party’s repeated promises of
stricter gun control was misplaced. When her husband, originally
from South Carolina, began talking about forming a Black men’s
gun club in D.C., she went with him to a concealed-carry course.

Johnson, a 36-year-old mother of six, discovered that she was a
good shot with a semiautomatic handgun. Soon she was hooked. She
and her husband, Frenchie Johnson, took additional courses and
became NRA-certified instructors last year. Now they teach
classes, catering specifically to Black people from D.C. and
Prince George’s, out of their home in White Plains, Md.

In D.C., homicides are up 11 percent from last year and are on
track to hit their highest level since 2002. Homicides
investigated by Prince George’s County police have dropped more
than 30 percent since 2021 — when they reached a 14-year high —
but carjackings have continued to rise. In both places, gun
seizures by police are up.

One of their first students was Janae Hammett, 37, who had gone
to elementary school with Johnson in D.C. and whose children’s
father was shot to death in 2010. Given that history, Hammett
said she was initially “on eggshells” around guns. But her
comfort level increased the more she shot, and eventually she
joined Johnson in forming the Second Amendment Sista Society, a
club for Black women in the Washington region who are interested
in guns.

Hammett said her transformation was driven, fundamentally, by
desperation. Illegal guns, it seemed, were everywhere. If she
couldn’t count on anyone else to protect her, why shouldn’t she
legally own a gun to protect herself?

“I don’t think the government, police or anybody will ever get a
hold of the illegal guns,” she said.

Philip Smith, founder and president of the National African
American Gun Association, said Hammett has plenty of company on
the path she has taken to overcome a deep-seated aversion to
firearms.

“More and more African Americans are looking at themselves in
the mirror after hearing for years and years that you shouldn’t
get a gun for any reason, and saying, ‘You know what, I’m going
to get a gun,’ ” Smith said. “This is a movement that has really
swept the whole country.”

There is a straightforward logic to this trend. Surveys show
that most gun owners buy their weapons for self-protection, and
Black Americans are more likely than Whites to have been
threatened with a gun or to know someone who has been shot.

Yet Deborah Azrael, director of research at the Harvard Injury
Control Research Center, worries that the legitimate fears of
people who live with the daily threat of violence are being
exploited by an industry eager for new customers.

“It’s naive not to think that there are gun sellers who have a
pecuniary interest in expanding their markets, and in a
narrative that says that African Americans and women need guns
now more than ever, whether or not that’s something true,”
Azrael said.

Azrael said the instinct for self-protection among people who
live in dangerous neighborhoods is understandable. But what
happens when those instincts combine to create a heavily armed
society of the kind that studies show is more dangerous for
everybody?

‘The world we live in’

Independence Day weekend was busy at the Choppa Community.

Manley, 32, built the gun range about a year ago with his best
friend, Alonzo Stokes. It sits on a property, owned by Stokes’s
uncle, off a lonely two-lane road deep in rural Charles County.

Manley grew up in Northeast D.C. and Prince George’s County and
previously worked as a bodyguard and operated a security company
in the District. One night in November 2018 he fatally shot a
masked gunman who, along with three others, was trying to rob a
vape shop Manley had been hired to protect. The shooting was
ruled justified but his security business license in the
District was revoked because the handgun he used wasn’t properly
registered.

After a period of soul-searching, Manley decided to enter the
budding world of Black Second Amendment influencers. With about
70,000 followers, his gun-heavy Instagram account — currently
suspended for an alleged violation of community guidelines that
Manley said he does not understand and is appealing — does not
yet compare to a popular figure like “Black Rambo.” But Manley
said his reach is still such that he has secured sponsorship and
ad deals from firearm and ammo companies.

Just as important, he says, is the offline community he has
created at the Choppa Community. (“Choppa” is a slang term for
guns, often referring to AK-47s.) Nearly 100 people would come
and go throughout the day on July 3, all Black and many from
D.C. and Prince George’s. Many were women and children. In
addition to its gun range, the Choppa Community offers courses
in de-escalation strategies, hand-to-hand self-defense and basic
firearms safety.

“It’s sad that this is what it’s come to, but this is the world
we live in," Manley said. "Guns aren’t going anywhere.”

The smell of gunpowder mixed with the scent of grilling
hamburgers as people sat in lawn chairs, conducting stop-and-go
small talk between the sharp reports of AR-15 rifles and 9mm
pistols. Among those present was Jawanna Hardy, an Air Force
veteran whose nonprofit, Guns Down Friday, works to reduce gun
violence and support the families of victims. Hardy had brought
with her a group of teen boys from Southeast Washington, some of
whom she said had been shot at the day before.

Some have criticized Guns Down Friday for organizing trips to a
firing range, she said. But Hardy said those detractors don’t
understand the likelihood that the boys she works with will pick
up a gun one way or another, and the value in teaching them to
responsibly handle the weapons. Beyond that, she said, the
enjoyment of shooting and the sense of community at the Choppa
range appeal to children whose neighborhoods offer few
recreational opportunities.

“I was working with these kids, and I was taking them to program
after program after program. Nothing worked,” Hardy said. “And
then I took them here. They itch to be here.”

Parker likewise found refuge at the gun range shortly after her
son was killed in March. The violent death of Morrow, a well-
known rapper whose stage name was Goonew, became national news
in the music world, especially after Parker held a memorial for
him at a nightclub, propping his embalmed body in a standing
position onstage. Parker said she chose the unconventional
ceremony to honor her son by placing him above the crowd of
mourners. Nobody could look down on him.

Parker, numb with grief, reluctantly agreed to visit the gun
range after being invited by Manley, who had been a friend of
her son. What she found surprised her.

It wasn’t just the kindness shown to her by Manley and other
instructors, the thrill that came from firing a deadly weapon or
the fascinating minutiae — firearms’ caliber, model, accessories
and ammunition — that enthusiasts discuss endlessly on range
days. It was a new worldview that she believed offered her a
glimmer of hope. Maybe guns weren’t just the problem. In the
right hands, maybe they were also the solution.

As a woman in a dangerous place, she had always feared she would
be unable to defend her family. Her son’s killers were still out
there. But with a gun, Parker felt less vulnerable, especially
with the knowledge she had gained at the Choppa Community.

“They took the fear out of me,” she said.

Parker was waiting for the paperwork to come through on her
concealed-carry license, and in the meantime she was trying to
share her revelation with others. On July 3, she brought with
her James and Deshonda Johnson, as well as their 5-year-old-
daughter. Like Parker, the family lives in District Heights,
where a day-care center decided to shut its doors earlier this
year because of the gun violence surrounding it.

James, 23, has only one eye. The other was shot out during an
attack he survived. He said he was deeply rattled by all the
gunfire around him at the Choppa Community, but that rising
carjackings and home invasions in his neighborhood had led him
to believe proficiency with firearms was the only way to protect
his family.

Deshonda, also 23, wasn’t so sure. She had never shot a gun
before, and when she stepped to the firing line her hands were
sweating so much she could barely hold onto a borrowed pistol.

A male instructor held the gun for her to steady it, and she
pulled the trigger, missing a paper target about 10 feet in
front of her.

“Oh my God,” she said, breathing rapidly as she pulled her hands
from the gun and stepped back. “I’m going, like, crazy. I’m not
used to that.”

She took a break and then stepped back to the line, refusing any
help this time as she picked up the handgun. Parker stood behind
her while she took aim.

“Let it rock, Boo,” Parker said.

Deshonda cupped the gun in her hands as she had been taught,
doing her best to ignore the deafening bursts of gunfire that
erupted around her. She squeezed off a round, and this time she
didn’t flinch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/07/28/black-women-
guns-crime/

Let them shoot as many black males as they want.
Johnny America
2023-02-28 11:18:59 UTC
In article <ssp2er$liea$***@news.freedyn.de>
fudgepacking queer <***@monkeypox.com> wrote:

> ...Sick bitch.

IREDELL COUNTY, N.C. (QUEEN CITY NEWS) — An Iredell County
teacher is facing a slew of charges including rape after having
a sexual relationship with a student, the according to
authorities.

Elizabeth Suzanne Bailey, 36, of Statesville, has been charged
with felony statutory rape of a person who is 15 years of age or
younger, felony indecent liberties with a minor and felony
sexual activity with a student.

The Iredell County Sheriff’s Office received a report on July 20
regarding a teacher who was possibly having a sexual
relationship with a student.

Deputies conducted several witness interviews and executed
search warrants for digital and social media communications
between the student and Bailey. The student was also interviewed.

Based on the evidence gathered, detectives were able to obtain
three felony arrest warrants on Bailey. She turned herself in on
Monday at the Iredell County Detention Center.

Bailey was issued a $75,000 secured bond and placed under house
arrest with electronic monitoring.

Bailey has been suspended with pay pending an investigation by
the Iredell County Sheriff’s Office.

Bailey works at Northview Academy (formerly Pressly School). She
was first employed with the Iredell-Statesville School District
in February 2010 as an assistant.

She has also served as an exceptional children's teacher, and
most recently as a science teacher.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/north-carolina-teacher-
charged-with-raping-a-student-who-is-15-years-old-or-younger/ar-
AA10cpoM?cvid=c92828930aa241c5b0b202d4cffd7f9e

She's a slut.
Johnny America
2023-02-28 20:59:30 UTC
In article <ssprvg$ls9s$***@news.freedyn.de>
fudgepacking queer <***@monkeypox.com> wrote:

> ...Sick bitch.

<https://img-s-msn-
com.akamaized.net/t
enant/amp/entityid/
AAW9lPQ.img?w=659&h=432&m=6&x=277&y=189&s=171&d=171>

NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – The trial for Yarelis Cespedes has been
rescheduled. Cespedes is the woman accused in 2019 of recording
a teen being sexually abused and sharing it online.

Southwest Albuquerque neighborhood overgrown with weeds
The video began floating around Ernie Pyle Middle School in 2019
after the two girls allegedly went to Lotus Night Club and met
up three guys who gave them alcohol and drugs. The victim says
she blacked out, and that's when detectives say Yarelis Cespedes
recorded her and a man in the back seat of an SUV, then shared
it.

Cespedes was arrested and charged with manufacturing and
distributing child pornography. She was previously offered two
plea options and rejected both. Her trial was expected to begin
Monday, but has now been rescheduled for December.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/woman-accused-of-filming-
teen-being-sexually-abused-has-trial-rescheduled/ar-
AA10c109?cvid=c92828930aa241c5b0b202d4cffd7f9e

She's a slut.
Benedict Milley
2023-03-03 10:38:39 UTC
In article <senal6$15c$***@news.dns-netz.com>
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...Send Kamala Harris to suck them all off until Trump is elected again.

The last time tensions soared between Beijing and Washington
over Taiwan, the U.S. Navy sent warships through the Taiwan
Strait and there was nothing China could do about it.

Those days are gone.

China’s military has undergone a transformation since the mid-
1990s when a crisis erupted over Taiwan’s president visiting the
U.S., prompting an angry reaction from Beijing.

“It’s a very different situation now,” said Michele Flournoy, a
former undersecretary of defense for policy in the Obama
administration. “It’s a much more contested and much more lethal
environment for our forces.”

Chinese President Xi Jinping, unlike his predecessors, now has
serious military power at his disposal, including ship-killing
missiles, a massive navy and an increasingly capable air force.
That new military might is changing the strategic calculus for
the U.S. and Taiwan, raising the potential risks of a conflict
or miscalculation, former officials and experts say.

During the 1995-96 crisis, in an echo of current tensions, China
staged live-fire military drills, issued stern warnings to
Taipei and launched missiles into waters near Taiwan.

But the U.S. military responded with the largest show of force
since the Vietnam War, sending an array of warships to the area,
including two aircraft carrier groups. The carrier Nimitz and
other battleships sailed through the narrow waterway that
separates China and Taiwan, driving home the idea of America’s
military dominance.

“Beijing should know the strongest military power in the western
Pacific is the United States,” said the then-defense secretary,
William Perry.

The Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) back then was a low-
tech, slow-moving force that was no match for the U.S. military,
with a lackluster navy and air force that could not venture too
far from China's coastline, former and current U.S. officials
said.

“They realized they were vulnerable, that the Americans could
sail aircraft carriers right up in their face, and there was
nothing they could do about it,” said Matthew Kroenig, who
served as an intelligence and defense official in the Bush,
Obama and Trump administrations.

The Chinese, taken aback by the U.S. military’s high-tech
display in the first Gulf War, “went to school on the American
way of war” and launched a concerted effort to invest in their
military and — above all — to bolster their position in the
Taiwan Strait, Kroenig said.

Beijing drew a number of lessons from the 1995-96 crisis,
concluding it needed satellite surveillance and other
intelligence to spot adversaries over the horizon, and a “blue
water” navy and air force able to sail and fly across the
western Pacific, according to David Finkelstein, director of
China and Indo-Pacific security affairs at CNA, an independent
research institute.

“The PLA Navy has made remarkable progress since 1995 and 1996.
It’s actually mind-staggering how quickly the PLA Navy has built
itself up. And of course in ‘95-96, the PLA Air Force almost
never flew over water,” said Finkelstein, a retired U.S. Army
officer.

Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has
described China’s dramatic rise as a military power as a
strategic earthquake.

“We’re witnessing, in my view, we’re witnessing one of the
largest shifts in global geostrategic power that the world has
witnessed,” Milley said last year.

The Chinese military now is “very formidable especially in and
around home waters, particularly in the vicinity of Taiwan,”
said James Stavridis, a retired four-star admiral and former
commander of NATO.

China’s navy now has more ships than the U.S., he said. Although
U.S. naval ships are larger and more advanced, with more
experienced crews and commanders, “quantity has a quality all
its own,” said Stavridis, an NBC News analyst.

China is currently building amphibious vessels and helicopters
to be able to stage a possible full-scale invasion of Taiwan,
experts say, though whether the PLA is capable of such a feat
remains a matter of debate.

During the 1995-96 crisis, China lost communication with one of
its missiles, and came away determined to wean itself off global
positioning systems linked to the U.S., said Matthew Funaiole, a
China expert at the Center for Strategic and International
Studies think tank. “It got them thinking that ‘we can’t rely on
technology from other countries,’” he said.

Officials in the U.S. and Taiwan now have to take into account a
much more lethal and agile Chinese military that can deny
America the ability to deploy warships or aircraft with
impunity, and even to operate safely from bases in the region,
Funaiole and other experts said.

“The game has changed in terms of how stacked the deck is for
the U.S. It’s much more of an even game. Whatever the U.S. does,
China has options,” Funaiole said.

Outraged by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan this
week, China has launched large-scale, live-fire military
exercises, including ballistic missile launches, that have
surpassed the drills carried out in the 1995-96 standoff. The
exercises are located in waters surrounding Taiwan to the north,
east and south, with some of the drills within about 10 miles of
Taiwan’s coast. China once lacked the capability to conduct a
major exercise in waters east of Taiwan, experts said.

China on Thursday fired at least 11 ballistic missiles near
Taiwan, with one flying over the island, according to officials
in Taipei. Japan said five missiles landed in its economic
exclusion zone, near an island south of Okinawa.

This time, the U.S. government has made no announcements about
warships moving through the Taiwan Strait. “Biden could try to
do that, but China could put them on the bottom of the strait.
That’s something they couldn’t do in 1995,” Kroenig said.

The White House said Thursday that the USS Ronald Reagan
aircraft carrier would remain in the region as China carries out
its exercises around Taiwan to “monitor the situation.” But
National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said that a
previously scheduled ICBM test had been postponed to avoid any
misunderstanding.

Despite the tough rhetoric between the two powers and the
mounting tensions, China is not looking to start a war over
Pelosi’s visit and is seeking to stage a show of force, not an
invasion of Taiwan, former U.S. officials and experts said.

For the moment, Chinese President Xi is focused on shoring up
his country’s sluggish economy and securing an unprecedented
third term at the next Communist Party congress later this year.
But China’s newfound military might prompt overconfidence in
Beijing’s decision-making or lead to a cycle of escalation in
which each side feels compelled to respond to show resolve,
former officials said.

There is a risk that Xi could underestimate U.S.'s resolve, and
that he believes there is a window of opportunity to seize or
blockade Taiwan in the next few years before American
investments in new weapons alter the military balance, said
Flournoy, now chair of the Center for a New American Security
think tank.

“I worry about China miscalculating because the narrative in
Beijing continues to be one of U.S. decline, that the U.S. is
turning inward,” Flournoy said. “That’s very dangerous, if you
underestimate your potential adversary.”

To prevent such an outcome, Flournoy argues both Taiwan and the
U.S. need to bolster their military forces to deter Beijing and
raise the potential cost of any possible invasion or
intervention against Taiwan.

Finkelstein said he worries about an “action-reaction” chain of
events that could lead to a conflict no one wants, and that the
risk of miscalculation in Beijing, Taipei and Washington is
“going sky-high.”

To keep a lid on the tensions, the U.S. and China need to pursue
an intense dialogue to lower the temperature, he said. “We need
to be talking to each other constantly.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/last-time-was-
taiwan-crisis-chinas-military-was-outmatched-us-forces-n-
rcna41560

Milley is a tool for the Chinese communists. He should be
drummed out of the military in disgrace.
Daniel Heaton
2024-01-19 14:13:08 UTC
In article <uoctaa$2vund$***@dont-email.me>

Daniel Heaton
2024-01-19 15:18:29 UTC
In article <uoctbb$2vund$***@dont-email.me>

Is Obama Behind The Biden Curtain?
2024-02-21 08:01:53 UTC
In article <t2epfb$3iqf1$***@news.freedyn.de>
trumps bitch <***@protonmail.com> wrote:

> ...Biden is done, stick a fork in him.

Shades of Obama's economic incompetence. Flash forward to Joe
Biden in 2022. The stench of Obama is everywhere.

It’s not just about how expensive housing became—it’s how fast
it got there. It only took 24 months for U.S. home prices to
soar a staggering 37%. For comparison, the biggest two-year
spike leading into the 2008 housing crash was 29%.

Heading into this spring, the Federal Reserve decided it had
seen enough. The central bank quickly raised interest rates,
which saw the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate climb to 6%—up
from 3.2% at the start of the year. Those higher rates, which
have priced out many home shoppers, ultimately ended the
pandemic housing boom. Now we're in a sharp slowdown, with the
Mortgage Bankers Association reporting on Wednesday that
mortgage applications are down 16% on a year-over-year basis.

As this shift occurred, we heard very little from the Fed. Well,
that was until chair Jerome Powell addressed reporters on
Wednesday.

Here's what Powell had to say: "We saw [home] prices moving up
very very strongly for the last couple of years. So that changes
now. And rates have moved up. We are well aware that mortgage
rates have moved up a lot. And you are seeing a changing housing
market. We are watching it to see what will happen. How much
will it really affect residential investment? Not really sure.
How much will it affect housing prices? Not really sure.
Obviously, we are watching that quite carefully…It’s a very
tight market. So prices might keep going up for a while, even in
a world where rates are up. So it’s a complicated situation and
we watch it very carefully. I'd say if you are a homebuyer,
somebody or a young person looking to buy a home, you need a bit
of a reset. We need to get back to a place where supply and
demand are back together and where inflation is down low again,
and mortgage rates are low again."

Three things stand out.

1. Powell says homebuyers "need a bit of a reset"

In the housing industry, the total number of active listings is
referred to as "inventory." Since 2014, annual inventory levels
have been declining. That was driven partly by shifting
household preferences (i.e. staying put longer), lower levels of
homebuilding following the 2008 housing crash, and the onset of
millennial first-time home buying. But once the pandemic housing
boom took off, inventory levels began to nosedive. By spring
2021, inventory hit a 40-year low. That has given homebuyers
little choice but to bid up home prices.

It's clear that Powell hopes the housing cooldown caused by
rising mortgage rates will help to push inventory levels up.
Powell suggest it'll help buyers, the thinking being: When
shoppers restart their house hunt, they'll be met with a
friendlier market. Higher inventory levels would give buyers
more time to decide, and reduce the chance they'll have to
engage in a bidding war.

Even before the Fed ramped up its inflation fight, Logan
Mohtashami, lead analyst at HousingWire, was openly rooting for
higher mortgage rates as a means to increase inventory levels.
According to the National Association of Realtors, U.S. housing
inventory inched up to 1.03 million heading into May. But to get
back to a “normal” housing market, Mohtashami says, inventory
would need to rise to 1.52 million to 1.93 million housing
units. Inventory levels nationwide (see chart below) are rising
fast, however, and over half of regional housing markets still
have inventory levels 50% below pre-pandemic levels.

"We need balance…The housing market is still savagely unhealthy
because total inventory levels in America are still below 1.52
million," Mohtashami says.

2. Falling home prices? Powell seems to have suggested it's
possible
Fed Chair Powell raised the hypothetical of home price drops on
Wednesday: "How much will it affect housing prices? Not really
sure. Obviously, we are watching that quite carefully. You’d
think over time...There is a tremendous amount of supply in the
housing market of unfinished homes, and as those come online..."

He then pivoted, and said: "Whereas the supply of finished
homes, inventory of finished homes for sale is incredibly low,
historically low. It's still a very tight market, and prices
might keep going up for a while, even in a world where rates are
up. So it’s a complicated situation and we watch it very
carefully."

For a moment it sounded like Powell was about to say home prices
would fall. Regardless, Powell didn't rule out falling home
prices. That matters. Historically speaking, outside of the
Great Depression and after the housing crash of the 2000s, year-
over-year home price declines almost never happen. But today's
circumstances could lead us into a rare period in which home
prices do indeed fall. It's telling that Powell didn't close the
door on the possibility of home price declines, and instead said
"we are watching that quite carefully."

Last month, Moody's Analytics chief economist Mark Zandi told
Fortune that spiked mortgage rates have pushed us into a full-
blown "housing correction." In the near future, Zandi expects
year-over-year home price growth to decline from 20.6% to 0%. In
significantly "overvalued" housing markets, he expects 5% to 10%
home price declines. If a recession does come, Moody's Analytics
said it expects a 5% decline in U.S. home prices and a 15% to
20% decline in significantly "overvalued" housing markets.
(Moody's Analytics determined "overvaluation" by comparing
regional home prices to what local underlying economic
fundamentals like household income would historically support).

Why are home prices now susceptible to a decline? It starts with
the fact that home prices have become detached from underlying
economic fundamentals. Basic economic theory teaches that home
price growth and income growth are interwoven, and neither can
outrun the other for long. That affordability crunch has only
been worsened by soaring mortgage rates. In fact, over the past
six months the typical new mortgage payment has spiked 52%,
according to Zonda, a real estate analytics company.

Home prices can fall, however, but for it to happen inventory
will likely need to rise much higher. Once U.S. inventory levels
climb above 2 million units, Mohtashami says, home prices could
begin to fall nationally on a year-over-year basis.

If the Fed's "over-tightening" causes a recession, Ralph
McLaughlin, chief economist at Kukun, a real estate data and
analytics company, says inventory could reach levels that allow
home prices to fall.

"It’s looking increasingly likely we’re approaching a sharp
inflection point in the market," McLaughlin tells Fortune.

3. Powell explicitly said he'd like to see mortgage rates fall
The central bank raised interest rates to both halt the pandemic
housing boom and to rein in runaway inflation. Once the Fed has
inflation back under control, elevated mortgage rates could
begin to recede.

That said, home shoppers eager for mortgage rate relief might be
waiting for a while. As of last week, the Consumer Price Index
was at 8.6%. The Fed won't let up on inflation fighting until
the CPI returns to 2%. On Thursday, the Fed made it clear this
fight could last well into 2024.

Hungry for more housing data? Follow me on Twitter at
@NewsLambert.

https://fortune.com/2022/06/16/housing-market-reset-federal-
reserve-could-see-home-prices-fall/
Songbird Johnny
2024-02-21 23:30:37 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>
trumps bitch <***@protonmail.com> wrote:

> ...I spent all night taking it up the ass.

The administration is encouraging counterproductive
"inclusionary zoning" policies that often raise housing prices
and reduce supply.

President Joe Biden has a new idea for reducing regulatory
barriers to new housing construction. Contained within the White
House's expansive new Housing Supply Action Plan is a proposal
to tie federal transportation grants to state and local
governments reforming their zoning codes.

Proponents of this approach argue that the massive amounts of
money that the feds spend on transportation give them a lot of
helpful leverage over the most overregulated jurisdictions.
Conditioning that money on the elimination of barriers to new
housing could get exclusive communities, or their respective
state governments, to start slashing red tape if they want
funding for new roads, bridges, or bike lanes.

But critics argue that even in its best form, getting
transportation bureaucrats into the weeds of local land use
policy is federal overreach.

The details released from the White House so far suggest that
they are not adopting the best form of this idea. In fact, Biden
could end up incentivizing counterproductive housing reform that
will probably raise costs and reduce supply.

The Biden administration's Housing Supply Action Plan, which was
released Monday, certainly sounds the right notes on zoning
reform when it says that "exclusionary land use and zoning
policies constrain land use, artificially inflate prices,
perpetuate historical patterns of segregation, keep workers in
lower productivity regions, and limit economic growth."

To fix the problem, it proposes a grab bag of policies; from
easing federal regulations on manufactured homes to streamlining
the applications for federal affordable housing funds.

Included is a plan to use discretionary transportation grant
programs funded by 2021's Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act
(IIJA)—costing $1.2 trillion—to encourage "locally driven land-
use reform, density, rural main street revitalization, and
transit-oriented development."

The IIJA provides $150 billion in funding for discretionary
grant programs. Beginning this year, the White House says that
the Department of Transportation (DOT) has released three
notices of available funding, totaling $6 billion in grants,
that have policies promoting "density and rural main street
revitalization."

Salim Furth, an economist at George Mason University's Mercatus
Center, says more closely tying local land use policy and
federal transportation spending is "broadly logical."

"You shouldn't build infrastructure where people ain't or where
[housing] densification can't follow the [transit] investment if
you're adding a lot of capacity," Furth tells Reason.

But he cautions that trying to incentivize land use reform
through discretionary grant programs—which give the
administration a lot of freedom to set grant conditions and pick
who ultimately gets the money—opens the door to a lot of
counterproductive political manipulation.

"When it's a Democratic administration, they are going to look
for Democratic-friendly policies, even when they don't have a
big impact on housing production," he says. "You might get
points for having a strong inclusionary zoning ordinance even if
that ends up backfiring and creating less housing than a Texas
suburb that is really generous about zoning for multifamily"
housing.

Inclusionary zoning refers to policies that require or
incentivize developers to offer some of the new units they build
at below-market rates to lower-income renters or buyers. Close
to a thousand jurisdictions in the country have some form of
inclusionary zoning.

The policy has a poor track record of creating new affordable
housing. Research is increasingly finding that requiring
developers to build below-market-rate units acts as a tax on new
housing, which has the effect of either raising prices or
reducing new supply. There's one active lawsuit out of
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, arguing the whole scheme is
unconstitutional.

And inclusionary zoning appears to be precisely the kind of
thing that the Biden administration's changes to discretionary
transportation grant programs are encouraging.

Per a DOT spokesperson, the administration has thus far used
three "notices of funding opportunity" that include language
promoting density and land use reform.

That includes a January-issued grant solicitation for $2.2
billion in Rebuilding American Infrastructure with
Sustainability and Equity (RAISE) grant money. These grants can
pay for projects ranging from bus lanes and port improvements to
recreational trails.

In March, DOT released another "multimodal project" notice of
funding opportunity covering three grant programs totaling $2.9
billion that also asks applicants to talk about how their
project relates to land use and housing development. Those grant
programs fund major infrastructure projects and infrastructure
projects in rural areas.

On Monday, a notice of funding opportunity for $1 billion in
Safe Streets for All grants—a new program that pays for safety
improvement projects—also looks at applicants' land use policies.

The first two notices of funding opportunity make frequent
mention of rewarding grant applicants that have policies
encouraging "mixed-income residential development near public
transportation." And the primary way an applicant would create
those mixed-income residential developments would be through
having an inclusionary zoning policy.

Elsewhere, these notices of funding opportunity express
preferences for rewarding projects in areas with "fiscally
responsible land use" or "location-efficient housing." Those
terms could plausibly be read as references to more deregulatory
zoning policies that allow market-rate multifamily housing.
They're nevertheless pretty vague.

Those references also come sandwiched between a lot of other
factors that DOT staff will consider when scoring grant
applications. For instance, the notice of funding for the RAISE
grant program asks applicants to detail how their project will
improve economic growth. In particular, applicants are asked to:

describe the extent to which the project and local and regional
policies related to the project will contribute to the
functioning and growth of the economy, including the extent to
which the project addresses congestion or freight connectivity,
bridges service gaps in rural areas, or promotes greater public
and private investments in land-use productivity, including
rural main street revitalization or locally-driven density
decisions that support equitable commercial and mixed-income
residential development.

If the goal is to use transportation dollars to incentivize
productive housing reforms, making land use just one of many
factors to consider weakens that incentive.

Other Biden White House-endorsed plans to spend money
incentivizing local zoning reform have received similar
criticism: they focus on too many different policy priorities
all at once. They, therefore, become less a means of increasing
housing supply through deregulation and more of a general
subsidy to local governments.

Indeed, legislative efforts to use federal transportation
dollars on spurring local land use reform have been more
explicit about the land use policies they are trying to
encourage.

Rep. Scott Peters (D–Calif.)'s More Housing Near Transit Act,
for instance, rewards jurisdictions that don't give local
bureaucrats discretion to shoot down housing projects near
transit stops. The 2019 HOME Act, sponsored by Sen. Cory Booker
(D–N.J.) and Rep. Jim Clyburn (D–S.C.), explicitly details the
"transformative activities" jurisdictions receiving federal road
and rail funding could adopt.

On the campaign trail, then-candidate Joe Biden explicitly
endorsed Booker's bill.

Marc Scribner, a transportation researcher at the Reason
Foundation (which publishes this website), says that competitive
grant programs that give the executive branch a lot of
discretion in picking awardees have a storied history of sending
pork to political allies.

A report from earlier this year from the Reason Foundation found
that 41 of the 90 RAISE grants awarded in 2021 went to districts
or states represented by lawmakers on Congress' various
transportation and finance committees. The Trump administration
used the same program to shower money on rural Republican areas.

Scribner says that the Biden administration's consideration of
land use policies when steering this money is just another way
for Democrats to funnel money to areas where their supporters
live.

"I expect dense urban cores are going to receive a
disproportionate share" of transportation funds, he says. "These
are earmarks by another name."

Scribner is skeptical of explicitly tying federal transportation
dollars to local land use policies. Prioritizing transportation
projects with higher ridership projections will already send
money to roads and rail being built in areas that are favorable
to development, he says.

The Biden administration has been remarkably consistent in
criticizing local and state barriers to housing construction. On
that point, they're in agreement with libertarian policy wonks.

Whether the federal government can be a force for good in trying
to fix that problem all hinges on the details of its policy
problems.

And the details released thus far on the White House's plans to
link federal transportation spending and local land use aren't
particularly encouraging.

https://reason.com/2022/05/18/bidens-plan-to-link-federal-
transportation-spending-to-zoning-reform-could-make-the-housing-
shortage-worse/